PSU, UNH: Canvas (myCourses): Requesting course extension for incomplete coursework

Task: This article describes how to request an extension in Canvas to allow students and faculty to finish incomplete work or grading


Students with incomplete coursework 

Plymouth State University

Students retain access to their courses through the end of the following semester before the course becomes read-only/inactive in Canvas. For example, students with a course incomplete from a Fall semester will retain access to completing course work through the end of the Spring semester. Instructors do not need to take any actions to extend course access. 

University of New Hampshire

Courses are changed to Read-Only (inactive) status approximately 4 weeks after the end of each semester.  This can vary depending on the semester schedule. To see exact dates, refer to the Canvas Course Creation and Enrollment Schedule Kb article. Canvas Course Creation and Faculty/Student Enrollment Date Schedule

If a student received an incomplete grade and needs more time to complete all their outstanding work, faculty should complete the Canvas support form here: Canvas support request form to request the course remain active for the student(s) who are still completing work.  This will allow the course to be read-only/inactive for all students who have completed the course while allowing full access and functionality for you and students still working on the course material.

UNH Grade rules specify that the incomplete grade must be completed no later than the middle of the semester immediately following the one in which incomplete was granted.  For additional details see the Registrar Grade Rules. When requesting an extension to the course, provide a date on how long you'd like the course to be available for the student.

Note:  Please include the course name, course number, and student name(s) in the Additional Details window on the support form.


After this article, users will know how to request an extension in Canvas to allow students and faculty to finish incomplete work or grading


Need additional help?

Please use this link to the Technology Help Desk to locate your local campus contact information.  Use the “Submit a Question” for your campus to enter an online support request.  

You can also request support through the Canvas Support Request Form

0% helpful - 2 reviews
Print Article


Article ID: 971
Fri 7/19/19 5:44 PM
Wed 6/5/24 3:26 PM
Applicable Institution(s):
Plymouth State University (PSU)
University of New Hampshire (UNH)